Thursday, December 6, 2007

Thanksnowing

New York got it's first snow of the season Sunday. I knew I was going to spend most of the day cooking anyway, but I took advantage of my family staying in the house, hiding from the elements, to make them all sit down and have a vegan family dinner.

I made the Tofurky Roast with vegetables, Panic Pepper Potatoes, the Baking Powder Biscuits from Vegan With a Vengeance and Sarah's Gravy. I also put out the Pumpkin-Apple Butter from Fat Free Vegan I made Saturday night. Yum!



So, what are Panic Pepper Potatoes? They're the best way I could think of to use up some extra potatoes and the contents of a McClure's Spicy Dill Pickles jar (cayenne peppers, garlic cloves, dill, vinegar). I used about ten potatoes and they were still too spicy for my parents and I to eat a full serving off. A forkful or two was very tasty, but beyond that, it was just too hot. My brother inhaled them, but then again, he eats wasabi raw.

My family still can't get enough of the Baking Powder Biscuits. We had some with gravy, some with pumpkin-apple butter and some plain. All caused joy. My brother put a tiny dab of the butter on a biscuit "just to taste because I'm not feeling pumpkiny right now." He took a bite, grinned hugely and proceeded to pile the butter onto his biscuit. That's what I liked to see (as long as it's not real butter)! I doubled the biscuit recipe this time and am shocked that there are still a couple left right this minute (unless someone ate them while I'm typing this at work).

Sarah's Gravy is a gravy recipe from my friend Sarah (duh). She made it up while standing in front of her stove and wanting to make something quick, easy and tasty. She succeeded. I think I overheated mine a bit because it was thicker than gravy should be, but everyone loved the flavor. The recipe I include below is how I made it, not exactly how she sent the recipe to me (she lists a bunch of optional ingredients and I don't want to give away all of her secrets).

Panic Pepper Potatoes (don't worry, I know this isn't an actual recipe):

Buy a jar of McClure's Spicy Garlic Dill Pickles.
Eat the pickles.
Boil about ten potatoes in the brine with as much water as necessary added.
While your potatoes are boiling, puree the remaining contents of the pickle jar.
Drain the potatoes.
Mix the cayenne/dill/garlic puree into the potatoes while mashing.
Eat.
Cry.

Serve with bread or something else absorbent (Tofurky!) to take care of the oils from the peppers. Do not drink, that will only make it worse.





Sarah's Gravy

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
2 Tbsp Flour
1 Cup Water
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp Garlic Powder

Whisk together first three ingredients over medium heat until they bubble. Continue whisking for an additional minute. Add water and whisk to dissolve. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Lower heat and whisk in remaining ingredients.

2 comments:

Top Monster said...

So, here's my suggestion with a use for the peppers:

Dice the peppers up after removing the seeds and sauté with Tofu scramble, veggie cheese, and Gimme Lean sausage and whatever else you like for a killer vegan Omelette.

Also, if you have brine left, put some more cukes, onions, or carrots in there. You'll have some mildly spicy pickled foods ready in a week or so.

One more: Thai Curry - 1 can of Coconut Milk, 2 diced potatoes, a little bit of Jasmine Rice, handful of basil leaves, a bit of Tumeric, salt and some of the peppers and you've got a great curry.

I'm assuming your not in to eating products with casein, which will help diminish spiciness...at least to your taste buds...but as you mentioned in your blog...something starchy, carby to minimize direct oil 2 tongue contact would help too.

Seitan Said Dance said...

Wow, those are so great sounding suggestions. Thanks!