Thursday, December 27, 2007

Waste Not, Want Not

I hate waste when I cook and try to put every little bit of every little thing to use. I eat all the vegetables after I make veggie broth (even the greens!) and have boiled potatoes in pickle juice, so I obviously needed to find some use for all of my leftover seitan broth. The first thing I did was go back to my old standbys: jerky and mashed potatoes. This time, the jerky was a more meat-like color but was pretty bland. The potatoes tasted like they were unseasoned but had been sitting on a plate next to meat for a while.

So that wasn't very impressive, but then I remembered that I'd bought mochi and there was a recipe on the package.



The recipe called for onions, carrots, cabbage, soy sauce and mochi. I used onions, parsnips, spinach, seitan broth and mochi. It was actually quite nice, but then again, I'd marry a parsnip if you let me, so I may not be the best judge of the quality of this recipe.

Jerky before and after:



No comments: