Thursday, April 24, 2008

Passover, Post the Third

I decided not to spend all day in the kitchen Monday. Instead, I went for a twelve mile walk (I had no idea where I was going and ended up walking an enormous figure eight), then came home and made the Beginner's Curry from More Than Twigs and Berries. So. Good.



As I mentioned in one of my other posts, I couldn't find kosher for Passover curry powder, so I made my own. This recipe calls for chili powder too, and I couldn't get that either, so it was back to the mortar and pestle. I used the blend in post #9 as a template, but I had to omit the cumin because I can't eat it on Passover. And I somehow managed to use my red pepper flakes instead of cayenne pepper. Superfail! There were red pepper flakes in the curry and chili powders, making the curry very spicy (to me, but I'm a giant pansy).

I love curry and was hoping to make some to share with my family over the holiday (they don't eat much "ethnic" food), but all the recipes I had required beans or lentils or something. Then I checked MTTB, and viola! Bean-free curry! It's fast to make, doesn't require loads of chopping, and is crazy good, even with my bizarro spice blend. I've eaten it four days in a row and I'm not sick of it yet. Just sad I'm almost out.

It's too spicy for me to eat alone, so I'm always sure to have matzo nearby when I'm eating it. The recipe says to eat it over rice, and it'd be great over quinoa (rice is a no-no this week), but my Green-Wa is also spicy and I don't want to make more until I finish what I already have. Putting the curry on the matzo and eating it sort of like a hard, open-faced sandwich is really good too.

More Passover to come!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what's not Passover-y about cumin?

Seitan Said Dance said...

According to a website I was reading, it counts as "kitniyot". I don't know why, since it's a seed (as far as I know) and kitniyot are usually legumes. Weird.