Monday, October 12, 2009

Curry Laksa


When it's not too spicy, I love curry and all things curry-related, so it surprised me when I realized I had never cooked with curry paste before, just powder. I remedied that recently, by testing a new recipe for Isa Chandra Moskowitz's upcoming whole foods book: Curry Laksa.




Isa said the recipe isn't at all authentic (just easy and tasty), but according to Wikipedia, it doesn't seem to be that far off the mark, since there are so many different kinds. They actually mention including tofu (balls, not cubes). So she may have exaggerated the lack of authenticity, but was totally spot on about the ease and taste.

In this Laksa, curry paste, coconut milk and lime juice bring the flavor, while bok choy, red peppers, big old cubes of tofu and rice noodles are fill your belly. It was a bit too spicy for me, but really, what isn't?

The recipe makes really large servings, which is great, since the dish is really light. I doubled the recipe, then lost a container of the stuff in my fridge for...three weeks or so. When I found it again, it smelled just as good as the day I had made it, but I was a little freaked about eating bok choy and peppers that had been sitting in liquid for so long. So I just picked out all the tofu and ate it with my fingers. I cannot express how happy it made my belly. I had pressed my tofu, so it absorbed the broth, making it firmer and tastier. Having it cold made it even more firm, which made me even happier.

Tofu rule for life: harder = better.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I've never had laksa before, but it looks really good!