Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hot MoFos



Yes, ladies and gentlemen, to paraphrase The Zombies, it's the time of the season for MoFo.

If you're new to this blog, vegan talk, or the Internet, you may ask yourself "Where does that highway go?" "What is VeganMoFo?" So I'll tell you:

VeganMoFo (formally known as the Vegan Month of Food) is a play on NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writer's Month), except all non-fiction. For the month of October, about 360 denizens of the Internet (including me) will try to post about food daily, with the intention of showing off the wide and varied world of vegan eats.

VeganMoFo was first organized by Isa Chandra Moskowitz in 2007, and kittee has taken on some of the administrative duties for this, our third year. Thanks to both of them, here are some helpful links:
The RSS feed - all the blogs in one place
Flickr pool
Blog
Twitter feed (and we'll be using the hashtag #veganmofo)

I participated back in 2007, when I was totally new to veganism (I didn't even start thinking of myself as vegan until the following January), but missed out last year, so I'm looking forward to this one. I hope I'll be able to keep up; at my most prolific, I'm more of a weekly post kind of girl. But you may have noticed this blog hasn't been updated in nearly two months. That's because I've been stockpiling posts. I've got a backlog here that should take me though at least the first week.

If you want to participate in VeganMoFo, there are a few ways:

1. Write and submit your blog via the instructions on kittee's site (linked above).

2. Read the blogs over on the RSS feed and maybe get inspired to do a little cooking yourself. If you like what you see, let the authors know.

3. Eat. If you're not already vegan, why not try it for the month? Or maybe vegetarian? Or just cut out red meat for the month of October? Whatever makes you feel comfortable. If you're thinking "But what will I eat if I can't have ____?" there's no need to worry. There are about 360 people ready to provide helpful hints.

This is me, done with Day One. Twenty-one to go (I'll only be posting on weekdays)! And if you think it's a cop out that my first post was just an intro and no real food-related content, look at it this way: I HAVE to get more interesting. Most of my posts are about me screwing up and making a mess in the kitchen, so if you like your food with a side of schadenfreude, welcome!

No comments: