Thursday, October 29, 2009

Quinotto

I have a confession: I've never made risotto. Not because of intimidation by all the stirring and the waiting and the stirring (and the stirring), but because whenever I decide to make it, I get distracted by a recipe that sounds even better. Usually quinoa. So imagine how thrilled I was when I saw that Terry posted Quinoa Roasted Pumpkin Risotto to test for her upcoming book.


This recipe basically gives you all the creamy goodness of risotto, with the health benefits and nutty flavor of quinoa. And calabaza pumpkin! It's kind of a win-win-win situation here.

I have to warn you, though: this dish is not for pansies (like me). With a full tablespoon of aji amarillo paste and a roasted chili, it is HOT. This was my first time ever eating quinoa and thinking "Damn, I need to put this over rice to absorb some of the spice". That said, it's so flavorful (this was my first time using aji amarillo and I love it, despite the pain) that I kept going back to pick at what was stuck to the pan, whining about how much my lips hurt, then picking at it again (I was bringing it to a potluck, so I couldn't just take a portion).

I will definitely make this again (especially since I still have some leftover pumpkin), but I'm going to have to decrease the hot pepperiness. If you buy the book when it comes out (and you really should), this recipe definitely should not be skipped. It's a little time consuming, but totally worth it.

4 comments:

Embee Breedlove said...

Ah-HA! And now we know the backstory on said delicious quinoa. She's totally not fibbing y'all - this stuff is awesome. A bit hot, for sure, but once it marinates in its own juices for a while not too too hot, just very flavorful!

Just FYI, I've now linked this post to my post about the potluck that's going up this morning. :D

Mihl said...

Thank you for reminding my of that awesome recipe! I have this huge chunk of pumpkin taking up all the fridge space, he he.

Anonymous said...

you said hot? I am there. I will def buy her book when it comes out. This looks so healthy and since u tell me it is hot it is even more appealing

Seitan Said Dance said...

Unfortunately, I didn't get to test as much as I would have liked to from this book, but everything I made was delicious. I totally recommend it.