Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Oopsie

One thing I forgot to mention about my trip to Barbados is that I missed my flight. Oops. That was my first time missing a flight, ever. I'm usually there ridiculously early. I once even got there before the ticket counters opened and slept on the floor. Thankfully, I was able to fly standby and get there the next day without having to pay a load of fees. This was yet another day with nothing to do but cook, so I checked out the tester forum for Isa Chandra Moskowitz's upcoming healthy/low fat/whole foods book and got to work.


That's Cannelini Walnut Croquettes with Brussel Sprout Potato Hash. I don't know why we always have cannelini beans in our pantry, but we do. All we usually do with them is move them from one shelf to another to get them out of the way of the good stuff, like garbanzos and navies. I've never just sat up one day and thought "Shit! I could really go for some cannelini beans right now!" and been thwarted by a cannelini-free pantry, so I really don't know what they're doing there. But it was time to wipe the dust off the cans and finally put them to good use.

The croquettes are baked, not fried, so they're guilt free and they're really fast and easy to make. They've got balsamic in them, for a little kick if you want to eat them alone, but would also do well with a sauce. Personally, I ate them plain. All. Day. I just kept picking them off the baking sheet (except the ones I plated and ate with the hash and the few my parents ate - my father thought it was a cookie. Haha on him!).

As for the hash, I love Brussels sprouts and I love potatoes, so really, who could ask for anything more?

I also made Isa's fresh corn and scallion cornbread, which was good when I made it, but even better the next day (which was a relief because I took it - and a pot pie wrap made from Thanksgiving leftovers - to eat on the plane. You know, when I didn't miss it) .

No comments: