Monday, February 22, 2010

Bake Sale Backup

Erm. I'm not very good at this blog thing. Sorry.
Photo by nyseiler.

NYC's Vegan Bake Sale for Haiti was on Sunday, January 31. And I think we can call it a success. We raised a total of $5,026 for Doctors Without Borders and had a fun day with amazing people and great treats.
The bake sale was at MooShoes and I can't say enough about how awesome the owners and staff of that store are. They were so amazingly helpful. I can't imagine the day going any smoother than it did, and we have them to thank.

Loads of other local businesses and crafters pitched in to help as well, including:

Caravan of Dreams
Candle Cafe
Dandies
Tiengarden
Foodswings
Babycakes
Sweet Avenue
Terry Hope Romero
Panda With Cookie
Mrs Tattoed Geek

I'm sure I missed someone in there, and if it's you, I'm terribly sorry. I promise I still love you!

It was an amazing day. People came out in droves to support a great cause and eat tasty things. I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked into MooShoes that morning and saw the mountains of treats we had to sell. Then I couldn't believe it when they were almost all gone! It seemed like we'd sold hundreds of cookies and cupcakes and dozens of muffins and other treats in the blink of an eye. Not only did I get to spend the day eating delicious things, but I also got to hang out with some wonderful people. Perfect. Day.

But enough of my blather. Here are some photos (I spent the whole day behind a wee table and didn't take any):

Photo AND Twinkies by joyfulgirl415

I forget what these were, exactly, but I know there was Hennessy and glitter involved.
Photo by joyfulgirl415

Photo by joyfulgirl415

Raffle Prizes 


First thing I ate. Best way to start the day.
Photo AND danishes by rachelrayforever 

For more photos capturing the deliciousness and good times that were had, check out the Flickr pool.

I made rocky road brownies (modified Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar recipe) , pesto pinwheels and pepperoni pizza pretzels. The pretzel recipe was from Kittee's Papa Tofu zine. It is versatile and awesome.

Worldwide, vegan bake sales for Haiti raised over $40,000 for assorted disaster relief charities. My mind is totally blown by the outpouring of generosity I've witnessed here and in the many other fundraisers that have taken place in the past monthish. I'm so overwhelmed I don't even know how to express my gratitude to everyone who has organized an event, baked, bought, donated, made phone calls, collected money, put up signs, shared information online and helped the cause in roughly 4372898273 other ways.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Matthew Marshall said...

did you post this comment on supervegan?:

"The soul chicken sandwich isn't vegan? The menu on Red Bamboo's site doesn't note that (which is SERIOUS bullshit)."

http://supervegan.com/blog/entry.php?id=1212#reviews

I'm trying to figure out if the sandwich really is vegan...

if so, please email me!

thanks

matt

matt1000 - AT - mac - DOT - com